Trevliga Spel forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

No midi signal

2 posters

Go down

No midi signal Empty No midi signal

Post by Runepune Sat Dec 31, 2022 2:08 pm

Hi!

I've been using the Midi Button plugin with Streamdeck XL without problems, but I'd really like to use the latch/group function in your Midi plugin. However, I get absolutely no midi output when trying it. No activity is registered in Logic or LiveProfessor, which are the two programs I use the most. No midi note, program change or anything. Streamdeck and firmware is updated.

Any ideas?

Runepune

Back to top Go down

No midi signal Empty Re: No midi signal

Post by Admin Sat Dec 31, 2022 3:47 pm

Hi,

The latch button sends notes, nothing else. If Stream Deck is configured to send on a Midi port where your daws are reacting to notes, it should work.

I see no problem using the latch function; notes are sent as expected.

Please enable extended logging, press the button, and send me the log file.
Admin
Admin
Admin

https://trevligaspel.forumotion.eu

Back to top Go down

Post by Runepune Sat Dec 31, 2022 4:07 pm

Doesn't matter which mode...It seems no midi is being transmitted from Streamdeck with any button. The "Midi Button" plugin works fine. Both sending simple midi on Streamdeck's midi port. I'll enable extended logging :-)

Runepune

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Sat Dec 31, 2022 4:33 pm

I see from the log file that the notes are sent on the "Streamdeck" port, but with a velocity of 1, I guess that's the problem.

If you want to use notes for articulation (or other remote control purposes), you probably need a velocity of 127 (or at least above 64)
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Runepune Sat Dec 31, 2022 5:06 pm

It's not that. I've tried different velocity. Also, none of the other midi messages work (program change, CC etc). None of my programs register any midi activity from any button in the Midi plugin...

I tried uninstall/reinstall of the plugin but that made no difference. Not sure if an uninstall/reistall of Steamdeck would help?

The StreamDeckMidiGlobalSettings file looks like this...if that's any help?

[quote={"Comment":"This file stores global data for the Stream Deck Midi plugin and is for the plugin's internal use only. Do not delete, move or edit this file in any way. Doing so will have a (probably bad) impact on your Midi plugin.","selectedMidiInPort":"Daw2StreamDeck","selectedMidiOutPort":"StreamDeck2Daw","selectedMidiChannel":"0","newsDisplayedForVersion":"3.0.0","middleC":"C4","selectedMCUMidiInPort":null,"selectedMCUMidiOutPort":null,"selectedMackieLayout":"","selectedMCUMidiPorts":[],"selectedMCUNr":"1","articulationFileFullPath":null,"selectedNOMidiInPort":"Streamdeck","selectedNOMidiOutPort":"Streamdeck","selectedNOMidiChannel":"0","selectedPCMidiInPort":"Daw2StreamDeck","selectedPCMidiOutPort":"Streamdeck","selectedPCMidiChannel":"0","selectedMSCMidiOutPort":"StreamDeck2Daw","selectedMSCMidiChannel":"0","selectedSysexMidiOutPort":"StreamDeck2Daw","VpotDirectionSwitchTime":"700","selectedScriptMidiOutPort":"StreamDeck2Daw","selectedScriptMidiInPort":"Daw2StreamDeck"}][/quote]

Runepune

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Sat Dec 31, 2022 5:51 pm

There is nothing wrong with Stream Deck or the plugin. The log says that the midi commands are sent from the plugin. If they don't reach your daw, there is a problem elsewhere.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Runepune Sun Jan 01, 2023 12:43 am

Admin wrote:There is nothing wrong with Stream Deck or the plugin. The log says that the midi commands are sent from the plugin. If they don't reach your daw, there is a problem elsewhere.

Yes, but the midi commands are not received by any application. The "Midi Button" plugin works fine...so Streamdeck/midi is working...but not on the Midi plugin  Sad

Runepune

Back to top Go down

Post by Runepune Sun Jan 01, 2023 1:58 am

Tried reinstalling Stream Deck. Didn't help. Any command in "Midi Button" works fine, but none works in Midi. Is there any preferences/config file I could delete somewhere?

I transferred my Mac from an Intel to this M1, so there may be something that didn't port right. I dunno, as everything else works fine with the Streamdeck.

Runepune

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Sun Jan 01, 2023 9:21 am

What do you mean by "Midi Button plugin" and "Midi plugin"? I'm confused.

If you uninstall/reinstall the plugin, there are no config files left.

I don't know if it's a problem with M1, but the log file says that the plugin has the port connected and that it sends the midi commands without getting any errors.

I don't have an M1 myself and cannot test if there's a problem using the plugin on that platform.

If anyone else has the plugin working on M1, please let us know.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Runepune Sun Jan 01, 2023 1:29 pm

Admin wrote:What do you mean by "Midi Button plugin" and "Midi plugin"? I'm confused.

Oh sorry, I should have made that more clear! I thought it was a known plugin..but I now understand how confusing my posts must have been  Very Happy  I'm referring to the Streamdeck plugin called "Midi Button", which is a simpler midi thingy. This one sends midi commands just fine.

Runepune

Back to top Go down

Post by Runepune Sun Jan 01, 2023 1:44 pm

So...I uninstalled the "Midi Button" plugin....and now I have no StreamDeck midi port any more. Uninstalled/installed everything again...but still no midi  Sad

Runepune

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Sun Jan 01, 2023 2:33 pm

OK. "Midi Button" is a Mac-only plugin, so as a Windows user, I never see it.  Smile  

Since Midi Button is a native Mac solution, it may be better suited to work on the latest Mac software/hardware versions. The Midi plugin is cross-platform, and I don't know if the cross-platform base I am building it on has some problems with M1. It looked OK in the log, though.

But let's take it from the beginning.

• It's a mystery why midi ports would disappear from the Midi plugin when you uninstall the Midi Button plugin. Unless, of course, the ports are created by the Midi Button plugin. If that is the case, the ports may have been created with explicit use by the Midi Button plugin only.
  • What does it look like in the IAC Driver configuration in the Midi Studio? Are your ports defined there, and the "Device is online" is checked?
  • If the above is OK, do you have the ports available in the port dropdown in the Midi plugin?
  • I know that (at least on Windows) midi ports can be created with limited simultaneous connections. I don't know if the same is true on Mac, but if it is, it can possibly explain your initial problems. If the Midi ports on M1 (or rather, the macOS version for M1) are created with a limitation of one connection (for sending), you will have problems if both the Midi Button and my Midi plugin use the same ports. Try to define separate ports for the Midi Button and the Midi plugin in the IAC Driver configuration and connect the plugins to their own set of ports. Maybe that will solve the problem.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Runepune Sun Jan 01, 2023 2:41 pm

Found the solution! 

You are right. The virtual midi port was installed by this Midi Button plugin, and for some reason your Midi plugin wouldn't work with this. 
Looking around on my Mac, I found an "IAC" driver that I could enable, which gave me another virtual midi port. Using this one worked fine  cheers

Thanks, and loving the latching feature!

Runepune

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Sun Jan 01, 2023 2:44 pm

Great. Very Happy
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content