Trevliga Spel forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Version 3.9 beta

3 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Version 3.9 beta - Page 2 Empty Re: Version 3.9 beta

Post by jordikt Sun Mar 24, 2024 6:29 pm

3,9,0,56 works fine.

I am experiencing another issue in Mackie dial/right and left taps when "Selected channel" is the configured action.

As example, let's take the screenshot of the configuration I am using for the right tap:

Version 3.9 beta - Page 2 Captur26

When I switch the solo state in the Cubase project, the icon changes correctly in the SD+.
When I switch the solo state in SD+ (tapping the right screen) the solo state always changes correctly in Cubase, but sometimes the icon in SD+ is not correctly showed.

The issue is only relative to the On icon. The issue only happens sometimes, and only when using the "Selected channel" choice.

The same configuration with "Channel 1" to "Channel 8" always works fine.
jordikt
jordikt

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Sun Mar 24, 2024 6:55 pm

I have tried but have not succeeded in reproducing that problem. If you can catch it in a log file, I can take a lok at it.
Admin
Admin
Admin

https://trevligaspel.forumotion.eu

Back to top Go down

Post by jordikt Sun Mar 24, 2024 7:22 pm

Done, sent by email
jordikt
jordikt

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Sun Mar 24, 2024 8:30 pm

Thanks. I can see in the log that the plugin sometimes fails to display an image, but there is no clue as to why this happens.

The same set of commands comes every time you touch the screen, so the problem must be something other than pure data. I need to investigate this more closely and maybe give you a special version with additional logging.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by jordikt Sun Mar 24, 2024 8:47 pm

Additional info that can give you some light:

The probiem is not that the ON ICON is not shown, the issue is that the ON ICON is "hidden" after being shown.

In other words, when the bug happens, the steps are:
- I tap the screen
- the ON icon is shown inmediately, as usual
- the ON icon disappears very fast, just the time for see it (like a blink)
jordikt
jordikt

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Sun Mar 24, 2024 9:02 pm

Yes, I think it is some timing problem between threads. The plugin receives two events: one for the selected channel and one for the "actual" channel. When configured for the selected channel it should ignore the event for the actual channel, but I guess something goes wrong with those double events.

Please install this version and try to trigger the problem (with logging enabled). I have added logging to see more details on what is going on.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by jordikt Sun Mar 24, 2024 9:44 pm

Done, sent by email
jordikt
jordikt

Back to top Go down

Post by jordikt Sun Mar 24, 2024 10:12 pm

I had an issue with custom V-Pot designs in Mackie dials/transport/scrub wheel

I reproduce it step by step:

1.- I click the "Add design" button in Mackie dial/transport/scrub wheel. I choose my xml file.
2.- the dropdown menu shows the complete path of the xml file instead the name of the design, and it says "(Not found)". Screenshot below.
3.- the dial screen of SD+ is blank
4.- I start a new generic midi dial/vPot
5.- I click the "Add design" button and I choose the same xml file
6.- everything works fine (the dropdown menu shows the custom design name and the dial screen shows correctly the custom design)
7.- I go back to the mackie dial/transport/scrub wheel and the dropdown menu shows correctly the custom design name, but the screen is still blank
8.- I select a factory design in the dropdown menu and the screen shows it correctly
9.- Then I select again the custom design and it is shown correctly

Version 3.9 beta - Page 2 Captur27

Previously I configured several custom fader designs and everything worked fine, no issues.

Last edited by jordikt on Sun Mar 24, 2024 10:24 pm; edited 1 time in total
jordikt
jordikt

Back to top Go down

Post by jordikt Sun Mar 24, 2024 10:20 pm

More info regarding last post:

After rebooting the SD+, the mackie dial/transport/scrub wheel has "forgotten" the configuration, and it shows again blank screen and the complete path in the dropdown menu with the label "Not found"

Also I have noticed that the value display doesn't show any value.
jordikt
jordikt

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Sun Mar 24, 2024 11:05 pm

Interesting. Custom design for scrub wheel has never worked... Shocked

I checked a plugin version released a year ago, and it has the same bug.
Admin
Admin
Admin

jordikt likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Mon Mar 25, 2024 10:25 am

About the missing icon update: I finally managed to replicate the issue. As I suspected, it is a timing issue, but only partially. When looking at my code, I wonder how this could ever have worked reliably...
Admin
Admin
Admin

jordikt likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by jordikt Mon Mar 25, 2024 12:32 pm

Admin wrote:When looking at my code, I wonder how this could ever have worked reliably...

Why? What do you mean?
jordikt
jordikt

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Mon Mar 25, 2024 1:13 pm

I'll try to explain...

The plugin stores the latest sent or received message for each possible command (e.g., the Note On/Off message for a key). To determine the current state, buttons and dials check the last available message in the store.

Mackie Control switches and their associated LEDs use Note On/Off commands; the problem is that they use the same command. When you press a key or dail, the plugin sends a Note On followed by a Note Off (like: key down and up). In response, the daw sends a Note On to light the LED (i.e., set the state ON) and a Note Off to set the state OFF.

Since the same command is used, it is a race condition which command is the last, hence being stored and used as the state for the button or dial.

When you press a button/dial to switch to state ON (e.g., Mute On), the plugin will send a Note On followed by a Note Off, while the daw will respond with a Note On to set the state ON. Note Off from the plugin and Note On from the daw happen more or less at the same time, making it random which comes last and thus will dictate the state of the button.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by jordikt Mon Mar 25, 2024 2:37 pm

If I understand correctly your example of Mute On, the priority for showing the icon should be to "hear" only what the DAW sends, and don't "hear" the note off from the plugin, isn't it?

So why not if the plugin stores only the latest received message?
jordikt
jordikt

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Mon Mar 25, 2024 2:47 pm

Yes, that's what it should do. For non-Mackie communication, the sent message must be stored, so I can't permanently remove the storage of sent messages.  I had prepared the code with an option not to store the sent message (to be used by Mackie actions), but I never used that option. Embarassed
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by jordikt Mon Mar 25, 2024 3:24 pm

Could be a good approach to store latest sent message AND latest received message?

Then the latest sent message would only be used by midi, and latest received message only used by mackie?

Does it make sense?
jordikt
jordikt

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Mon Mar 25, 2024 3:38 pm

It makes sense, but it would be a pretty significant change.  The only situation where it really matters is for note messages for Mackie since the sent and received messages have different meanings.

I activated the code already there, which seems to do the trick.

This version fixes the scrub wheel custom design bug and (fingers crossed) the Mackie state problem.

Version 3.9.0.66
Admin
Admin
Admin

jordikt likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by jordikt Mon Mar 25, 2024 6:23 pm

3,9,0,66 works like a charm Very Happy cheers
jordikt
jordikt

Admin likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by jordikt Tue Mar 26, 2024 6:16 pm

Before version 3,9,0,66 there was an "issue" with the tap screen action: if you tap the screen and you hold the finger in the screen without releasing it, the action was not launched.

Now in version 3,9,0,66 if I tap the screen and I keep my finger in the screen the action is always well executed.
jordikt
jordikt

Back to top Go down

Post by jordikt Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:04 pm

I think that FaderBanks:Channel Left and FaderBanks:Channel Right are not working as expected.

The Cubase 12 manual "Remote Control Devices" says that pressing these buttons you can navigate between pages.

As example, when I am in Insert Effect pages and I press these buttons, pages don't change and the track banks changes. I am always in page 1.
jordikt
jordikt

Back to top Go down

Post by jordikt Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:32 pm

It seems that the text information in Mackie Control V-Pots is not refreshing correctly compared to Mackie Control Faders.

Example 1:
I change the name of a track in Cubase. The display of the Fader dial changes instantly to the new name. The display of the vPot doesn't change. If I change of page in SD+ and I go back to the vPot, the name has changed correctly.

Example 2:
I have a page with 4 vpots (channels 1 to 4). The mackie page is panning standard. It looks like this:

Version 3.9 beta - Page 2 Captur28

I press the button "Plugins". LCDU of vPot 4 has not changed, it is wrong:

Version 3.9 beta - Page 2 Captur29

After refreshing the page, it shows the correct display:

Version 3.9 beta - Page 2 Captur30

If I press PAN button to return to standard panning pages, only vPot 1 change the display, showing this:

Version 3.9 beta - Page 2 Captur31

After refreshing the page, it shows the correct display:

Version 3.9 beta - Page 2 Captur32

If I do any action of the example 2 using faders instead of vpots, the text of displays always changes correctly.

Buttons Eq, Sends, DynFxAux gives the same wrong behaviour in vPots.
jordikt
jordikt

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:26 pm

Thanks, I'll look into those issues. Version 3.9.1 will be published by Elgato any minute now, so this needs to go into a bug-fix release.
Admin
Admin
Admin

jordikt likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Fri Mar 29, 2024 9:52 pm

The failed V-Pot texts are probably an old bug. Fixed now. (or rather, will be fixed in the next release)

The failed page navigation is interesting. The Cubase manual states that you should use the Channel Left/Right buttons to switch pages.

For some mysterious reason, Steinberg has decided NOT to use the Channel Left/Right buttons to shift the channel bank left or right.  Shocked  Instead, they use SHIFT + Bank Left/Right buttons to do Channel Left/Right. The plugin is designed to send SHIFT+Bank Left/Right when you select Channel Left/Right, so these commands don't work for switching pages since Cubase expects the commands for the buttons Channel Left/Right, not the commands for the function Channel Left/Right if you get what I mean.

For the next release, I will add Page Left/Right commands for Cubase to handle that function.

To add to the problem, a late fix before the release of this version broke the Shift command handling, so from the daws' point of view, the Shift button is never released. Sad
Admin
Admin
Admin

jordikt likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by jordikt Fri Mar 29, 2024 11:12 pm

I am managing Shift button as a toggle button. I didn't know it was a bug, I thought this was by design.

When I want to send i.e. Shift+Plugins, I do a multi-action with the following steps
- Shift
- Plugins
- small delay
- Shift
It works correctly.

I have been collecting a list of wishes/new features. I will post it later. One of the wishes is to give more versatility to the Shift button.
jordikt
jordikt

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Sat Mar 30, 2024 9:32 pm

Version 3.9.2 has now been released, including a fix for the failed V-Pot texts.
Admin
Admin
Admin

jordikt likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2