Trevliga Spel forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

mackie control/repear problem

2 posters

Go down

mackie control/repear problem Empty mackie control/repear problem

Post by demondsa Thu Jan 18, 2024 11:22 pm

Hi,

New user, so possibly user error. I've two different buttons controlling solo and mute on a track. Both have required behaviour in repear, toggling solo and mute respectively, but only the mute changes the state of the button in the plugin to display the alternative icon.

Config in attached screenshots. Any ideas on what I'm doing wrong, or how to go about troubleshooting?
Attachments
mackie control/repear problem Attachment
solo.png You don't have permission to download attachments.(19 Kb) Downloaded 3 times
mute.png You don't have permission to download attachments.(19 Kb) Downloaded 1 times

Last edited by demondsa on Fri Jan 19, 2024 12:33 am; edited 1 time in total

demondsa

Back to top Go down

mackie control/repear problem Empty Re: mackie control/repear problem

Post by Admin Thu Jan 18, 2024 11:31 pm

The best way to troubleshoot is to enable extended logging, press the buttons, and look at the log (or send it to me).
Admin
Admin
Admin

https://trevligaspel.forumotion.eu

Back to top Go down

Post by demondsa Fri Jan 19, 2024 12:36 am

I've attached the log. Mute on/off followed by solo on/off. Thanks for any help.
Attachments
pluginlog.zip You don't have permission to download attachments.(29 Kb) Downloaded 1 times

demondsa

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Fri Jan 19, 2024 9:52 am

The Mackie Control driver in Reaper doesn't respond as it should.  The switch state is controlled by Note commands, and the Mackie protocol documentation I have says that "off" should be a Note On command with velocity 0 and  "on" should be a Note On command with velocity 127. This is implemented by all daws I know of except Reaper.

For the Mute button, Reaper responds correctly with velocity 127 for the On state, but for the Solo button, Reaper, for some reason, sends a velocity 1 for the On state. The plugin treats everything except 127 as "off," so it doesn't react on velocity 1. Maybe I should switch that in the next release so everything except 0 is treated as "on". Shocked

I know nothing about Reaper but have a faint memory of users talking about the built-in Mackie driver as being very bad and that they instead use a "Klinke" extension. If you are not using "Klinke", I suggest you try that. I don't know anything about it, so I can't guide you more than that, but maybe some other Reaper user on the forum can help. Question
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Fri Jan 19, 2024 10:49 am

Correction.  Embarassed

Another dive into the Mackie Control protocol spec shows that velocity 1 means the LED is flashing (as opposed to a steady light when value 127 is used).

The plugin doesn't treat this state correctly; I'll see if I can fix that.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by demondsa Fri Jan 19, 2024 11:11 am

I'm new to DAWs, not just midi, so may well be a poor mackie control implementation in Reaper that I wasn't unaware of. I'll look into klinke and see what the repear forums have to say about mackie control.

Appreciate the help so far. I'm a dev and know how this part of the role can be very time-consuming, and distracting from the stuff you really want to do...

demondsa

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Fri Jan 19, 2024 11:36 am

This beta version should handle the Reaper connection better.

Version 3.7.2
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by demondsa Fri Jan 19, 2024 1:04 pm

Supposed to be doing my day job, but taken a quick look at Reaper and klinke. I'm using the sideshowfx reaper profile and overlooked the install process included adding the klinke plugin. The sideshowfx profile gave me the issue with solo but I could reproduce directly with your plugin's mackie control, so I came here. Anyway, looks like I'm using klinke rather than Reaper's built-in mackie contrl support.

I'll take a look at your new build this evening.

Thanks.

demondsa

Back to top Go down

Post by demondsa Fri Jan 19, 2024 1:20 pm

3.7.2 fixed the issue - thank you Very Happy

demondsa

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down