Trevliga Spel forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Mackie control for RME TotalMix

4 posters

Go down

Mackie control for RME TotalMix Empty Mackie control for RME TotalMix

Post by johey Mon Apr 03, 2023 2:05 pm

I've successfully set up a dial on my Stream Deck+ to control the volume of my RME sound interface using TotalMix. However, at first I found the dial to be unstable and jumpy. Until after a while, it stopped working, resetting to whatever is set in TotalMix as soon I start turning the dial.

I figured it might be TotalMix sending the set value before applying the new one, so I tried disabling the MIDI out port of TotalMix, and voila - it works perfectly stable now. But, obviously, if changing volume externally from the hardware itself or from within TotalMix, the new value is not reflected on the Stream Deck.

I am not sure this is a bug in this plugin or in TotalMix, or if there simply is no way to solve this. Just want to mention this, in case someone has an idea.

The settings is as follows:

• running on macOS Ventura on M1 architecture
  • created a MIDI loopback interface called TotalMix IAC Bus 1
  • TotalMix MIDI in and out set in TotalMix IAC Bus 1
  • in Stream Deck, I have a MIDI: Mackie Control dial set to Master channel and Layout: Generic

I have attached a log file where I have just started Stream Deck and turned the dial a few steps, which has instantly been restored to the value of TotalMix.

Edit: Had to compress the file to pass the size limit.
Attachments
Mackie control for RME TotalMix Attachment
trevligaspel-log.txt.zip You don't have permission to download attachments.(60 Kb) Downloaded 1 times

johey

Back to top Go down

Mackie control for RME TotalMix Empty Re: Mackie control for RME TotalMix

Post by Admin Mon Apr 03, 2023 2:53 pm

The Mackie Control protocol is very chatty, but TotalMix takes it to new extremes. It seems to send the complete configuration twice a second.

I can see in the log that you send a value and get an immediate response from TotalMix with the same value. Though in the next half-second update, the value is back to what it was before your update from Stream Deck.

TotalMix obviously forgets about the update from Stream Deck and sends the same bunch of data as in the previous half-secund update.
Admin
Admin
Admin

https://trevligaspel.forumotion.eu

Back to top Go down

Post by Blisterfingers Mon Apr 03, 2023 2:58 pm

I just started doing the same thing today - Stream Deck+ controlling TotalMix via Mackie control on a Mac Mini M2 running MacOS Ventura.

I'm away from my machine at the moment so I can't verify exactly but what worked for me was to have the IAC driver setup with 2 buses. I named mine Streamdeck2RME and RME2Streamdeck. TotalMix MIDI in is set to Streamdeck2RME, and TotalMix MIDI out is set to RME2Streamdeck.

I've been able to successfully control all of the hardware output channels as expected.

What I haven't figured out is how to successfully change the selected output channel in TotalMix via the next/previous channel commands from the Streamdeck MIDI plugin.

Hope this helps (and that I'm interpreting your description of the problem correctly)

I'm sure I'll be asking many questions in this forum myself.

Blisterfingers

Back to top Go down

Post by johey Mon Apr 03, 2023 4:33 pm

Admin: Thank you for looking at my logs! I guess it makes sense for TotalMix to update often. There are quite some parameters that can be changed from different places, be it other hardware controllers or software, so sending the full state is probably the safest bet. Though, it really should take my data in to consideration first! I don't understand why it doesn't. It worked pretty fine the first few hours.

Though, it is pretty obvious this is not a Stream Deck plugin issue, but rather TotalMix behaving. I will see if I can manage to put together a bug report on that.

Blisterfingers: Good it works fine for you! I would not believe a double bus will solve this problem. Each bus has one in and one out, so it is already bidirectional. But hey, it works for you and not for me (anymore) so... Go figure. Very Happy

Edit: Go figure is the key! I did just as you explained, and it magically works. Now I have no idea where the bug is. Probably within me. Thanks! Smile

johey

Back to top Go down

Post by mdnkndt Fri Apr 07, 2023 7:34 pm

Hello there,
I'm facing many issues controlling Totalmix with SD+.
I'm in quite the same setup : Mac mini M2, StreamDeck+, RME Fireface UC with Totalmix, 2 buses on IAC midi setup (Streamdeck2RME and RME2Streamdeck).
I did the last updates of all devices.

With Mackie Control dial on SD+, I manage to change Main Volume with Streamdeck and I also receive volume changes on SD+ when changing directly on Totalmix.
Is it possible to control other outputs volume like Phones ? I can't find any way to control anything but input Channels 1-8 and Main volumes.

With Midi CC dial on SD+, I manage to change any track volume, but if I change volume of a track on Totalmix, it won't change value on my SD+.

Any ideas concerning my 2 issues ?

mdnkndt

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down