Trevliga Spel forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Controlling Pro Tools (HUI) using the Midi Plugin- Two things missing

2 posters

Go down

Controlling Pro Tools (HUI) using the Midi Plugin- Two things missing Empty Controlling Pro Tools (HUI) using the Midi Plugin- Two things missing

Post by bassplayer Tue Aug 30, 2022 1:11 pm

I'm in the process of making a Stream Deck profile using the Midi Plugin to control Pro Tools. There are two ways to go. I have tested what Avid calls "M-AudioKeyboard" (the M-Audio HyperControl protocol) but that one is too crappy and too limited.

Now I'm experimenting with doing script files using the HUI protocol. There are two things missing to be able to do this properly. HUI works with 30 "Zones" and 8 "Ports", basically one Midi CC for Zones and one for Ports. The HUI protocol can be found here: https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=101328.

To trigger a function sending two Midi CC’s to DAW works like a charm. The problem is that the DAW also return two Midi CC’s. In order to be able to use the return function (for instance to have on and off icons) there is need for a function, namely that two fulfilled events (instead of one) consisting of Midi CC’s will trigger an action.

The second thing is that to be able to return things like track names and timecode there is a need for sending SysEx data from DAW to Stream Deck/Midi Plugin. The present version of the Midi Plugin only allow sending SysEx to DAW.

Are there by any chance any plans to implement such features in the Midi Plugin?

(If I can make a decent Pro Tools HUI profile I will of course make it available here for downloading.)

bassplayer

Back to top Go down

Controlling Pro Tools (HUI) using the Midi Plugin- Two things missing Empty Re: Controlling Pro Tools (HUI) using the Midi Plugin- Two things missing

Post by Admin Tue Aug 30, 2022 3:12 pm

Hi,

I have looked at the HUI protocol and decided not to implement it. The MCU protocol (that is the successor to HUI) covers almost everything the HUI protocol has and is a more modern and robust protocol.

HUI is so different from MCU that I realized I must start from scratch and re-invent the Mackie wheel in a new button type. I have assumed that everything that can talk HUI can also talk MCU, so I cannot justify the effort to implement HUI in the plugin.

Is there any specific reason why you want to use HUI instead of MCU?

Dual event triggers (I assume that you are talking about the Script button) is something that others have asked for, and I have a process (somewhere in the back of my brain) investigating how this may be implemented in a reasonably understandable way. It may be implemented someday, or maybe not. Neutral

For the sysex input, do you talk about the Sysex button or the Script button? Either way, since sysex, by nature, is rather complex, what is your view of how you should tell the plugin what to do with it?
Admin
Admin
Admin

https://trevligaspel.forumotion.eu

Back to top Go down