Trevliga Spel forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Background Script without file

2 posters

Go down

Background Script without file Empty Background Script without file

Post by lublak Sun Jan 21, 2024 10:24 pm

Currently you need to create a file to use a background script. For easier setup and quick usage it would be nice to have the same option as a "Script". So you can write a smaller script directly in the plugin.

lublak

Back to top Go down

Background Script without file Empty Re: Background Script without file

Post by Admin Sun Jan 21, 2024 11:19 pm

I understand that having a text field for the script sometimes makes things a bit easier, but I decided to remove that feature when I designed the background script action. The reason is that for background scripts, the information isn't stored in the action (i.e., not stored in the profile) since the scripts should be available everywhere without the requirement to have the script button active.

Instead, the information is kept in a "global storage" maintained by Elgato. This global storage isn't meant to store this kind of information; it is meant to store authentication keys and passwords and is securely stored and encrypted. I wanted to keep the extra load on this storage as light as possible, which is why I don't want to store complete scripts there, only the script file references.

I don't think the requirement to create a script file is too bad a compromise, and I'm afraid you will have difficulty convincing me otherwise. Wink
Admin
Admin
Admin

https://trevligaspel.forumotion.eu

Back to top Go down

Post by lublak Mon Jan 22, 2024 3:07 pm

It would simply have been more comfortable.
How is the file path saved?
Wouldn't it be possible to create a file automatically when using the text box? Then, for example, save it under: %appdata%/elgatomidiplugin/background_script_1.
So you would not save the whole script but only the file path and a flag that the textbox was used. So not much more than currently.

But as I said, it's more of a luxury problem. Would still be nice to have.

lublak

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Mon Jan 22, 2024 8:08 pm

There are, of course, endless other ways this can be done. I could spend many hours creating a more bulky interface and creating hidden files with all that comes in terms of error handling when users delete files they don't know what they are, Mac users who haven't given the plugin the rights to access the file system and other file related errors. Or I can spend my time looking at scripting for dials and other more useful features.

I'm doing this in my spare time you know. Not that I have any spare time due to all the plugin programming, but still. So sorry; you need to create four files and add the file references to the plugin... Smile
Admin
Admin
Admin

https://trevligaspel.forumotion.eu

lublak likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by lublak Mon Jan 22, 2024 10:44 pm

Everything is fine xD. It was just a wish. And as I said. It would just be a luxury. It doesn't hurt me so much to create the files myself.

lublak

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down