Trevliga Spel forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

streamdeck se.trevligaspel.cubase M1

2 posters

Go down

streamdeck se.trevligaspel.cubase M1 Empty streamdeck se.trevligaspel.cubase M1

Post by Kurt Wed Aug 02, 2023 6:29 am

Hi,

Great plugin, but it still runs as Intel on m1 Mac. Any plans to release a universal binary so it runs natively on apple silicon ?

best regards, Kurt

Kurt

Back to top Go down

streamdeck se.trevligaspel.cubase M1 Empty Re: streamdeck se.trevligaspel.cubase M1

Post by Admin Wed Aug 02, 2023 11:30 am

Hi,

First, a question out of curiosity: does it matter?

I understand that "native is better" in all ways, but besides not requiring having Rosetta installed, I can't see any real-life benefit for the plugin if it ran natively on Apple silicon.

That being said, I really don't know if it is possible. I can build the plugin to run Arm code instead of Intel, but I can't have two versions of the plugin for the two processors. (well, I can, but it would really be two different plugins in the Stream Deck Store, and profiles would be exclusive to the CPU they are created for, something content creators don't like).

I have asked Elgato if the Stream Deck infrastructure somehow supports building packages that can run natively on both processors, but I haven't got any answer yet.
Admin
Admin
Admin

https://trevligaspel.forumotion.eu

Back to top Go down

streamdeck se.trevligaspel.cubase M1 Empty Re: streamdeck se.trevligaspel.cubase M1

Post by Kurt Wed Aug 02, 2023 5:58 pm

Admin wrote:Hi,

First, a question out of curiosity: does it matter?

I understand that "native is better" in all ways, but besides not requiring having Rosetta installed, I can't see any real-life benefit for the plugin if it ran natively on Apple silicon.

That being said, I really don't know if it is possible. I can build the plugin to run Arm code instead of Intel, but I can't have two versions of the plugin for the two processors. (well, I can, but it would really be two different plugins in the Stream Deck Store, and profiles would be exclusive to the CPU they are created for, something content creators don't like).

I have asked Elgato if the Stream Deck infrastructure somehow supports building packages that can run natively on both processors, but I haven't got any answer yet.

There is some point in the future that Apple wil remove rosetta, just like they did with PPC to intel. So endless support for rosetta is not possible. Also, when native, it will run faster and eat less RAM resources. 

Lot's of developers build universal binary's which can run native on both type of CPU. But if this is not possible with Stream Deck Store, I understand it's maybe strange to built 2 different apps.  It will be confusing.

Let's hope Elgato will have a solution somewhere in the future. Thank you for your reply.

Kurt

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down