Trevliga Spel forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Fader Moves (Pro Tools)

2 posters

Go down

Fader Moves (Pro Tools) Empty Fader Moves (Pro Tools)

Post by asm Mon Jul 11, 2022 4:30 pm

Hi, 

First time posting / Midi novice / Zero scripting experience. 

I'm trying to configure my streamdeck to trigger very simple fader moves in Pro Tools. I'm having a bit of trouble achieving ideal results. Is there maybe a way to achieve this wit a custom script? Or a built in feature that I'm overlooking? Here's an example of what I'm trying to do (roughly):

(Fade In) Midi Ch. 1 / CC #33 - Change value from 50 to 100 over the course of 3000ms 
(Fade Out) Midi Ch. 1 / CC #33 - Change value from 100 to 50 over the course of 3000ms 

I've tried achieving this using the Fader button type with "detailed" Fader Movement Configuration. Midi CC value change registers in Pro Tools well enough, but I cannot achieve the gradual 3 second interval. Looking for a solve!

Also, if it's relevant, streamdeck is setup as a midi peripheral in pro tools (Type: M-Audio Keyboard).

Hope this is enough info to work off of, please let me know if not.
Attachments
Fader Moves (Pro Tools) Attachment
Screen Shot 2022-07-11 at 10.18.54 AM.png You don't have permission to download attachments.(54 Kb) Downloaded 3 times

asm

Back to top Go down

Fader Moves (Pro Tools) Empty Re: Fader Moves (Pro Tools)

Post by Admin Mon Jul 11, 2022 5:10 pm

Hi,

Unfortunately, you cannot achieve this with a fader button alone. If it is an acceptable solution, you can add a second Control Change button set as a Cycle button and assign the attached cycle file to it. Set the button to the same Channel/CC as the fader button, and set the end behavior to "Bounce" (alternatively, add two buttons, one fading up and the other fading down).
Attachments
Example_fade.zip You don't have permission to download attachments.(1 Kb) Downloaded 2 times
Admin
Admin
Admin

https://trevligaspel.forumotion.eu

asm likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by asm Mon Jul 11, 2022 6:03 pm

This is awesome, thank you! Very much appreciated your time on this. With this new trigger in place I've got a follow up query for you:

Is it possible to increase the "resolution" of the fader move? If I'm nitpicking, I'm looking for the automation curves to natural slope up and down, opposed to the "stair casing." I've attached images of those, as well as an edited xml (learning!) that better reflects desired outcome (after testing in Pro Tools).
Attachments
Screen Shot 2022-07-11 at 11.52.28 AM.png You don't have permission to download attachments.(7 Kb) Downloaded 1 times
Screen Shot 2022-07-11 at 11.53.11 AM.png You don't have permission to download attachments.(7 Kb) Downloaded 1 times
Example_fade copy5.xml.zip You don't have permission to download attachments.(1 Kb) Downloaded 1 times

asm

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Mon Jul 11, 2022 6:55 pm

The resolution is limited to what the MIDI protocol can handle, i.e., 128 steps (0-127). In your (initial) case, the fader should move 50 steps (50 => 100) in 3000 ms, i.e., one step every 60 ms.

In the cycle file you sent, you have reduced the glide time considerably, causing the plugin to take larger steps. The plugin has a built-in safeguard not to overload the Stream Deck infrastructure and has a minimum step time of 50 ms (i.e., commands are not sent at a higher rate than one each 50 ms). With the setting in your file, the plugin will increase the fader value by 6 for each step sent; I don't know if that causes the "stair casing."

If that is the case, I'm afraid that there is nothing I can do about it.

With larger glide time, you can get a smoother "curve," but it would still be a straight line, not the curve you want. Sad
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by asm Mon Jul 11, 2022 7:24 pm

Okay that makes perfect sense, thank you.

The cycle/bounce setup works quite well for what I'm trying to achieve, ie ride fader up and down between two cc values. Now that I've played around with it a little bit, I'm wondering if I could complicate things a bit more...

Would it be possible to set up deck to move between three (or more) fader positions? For example, top button in the column would be fader unity , 2nd down would be -5db, 3rd down -20db, or what have you, and you could trigger a fader ride to any position, from any position. 

I tried making a cycle type one using the xml you shared, but can't get it to behave quite how I'd like. I'll keep at it and see where I end up.

Again, first time poster, hope you don't mind fielding these questions.

asm

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Mon Jul 11, 2022 7:46 pm

That's tricky; the easy answer is that it's not possible. Kind of...

You can configure some buttons to go to individual levels, but you can't get them to glide there from anywhere, I'm afraid.

You can give each button an interval from MIDI value 0 to whatever MIDI value the dB value in your daw represents. Each button will glide to the target value as long as the current value is within the defined interval for that button, but if the current value is outside of the interval, it will jump directly to the target value. In this case, the buttons should be configured to stop at the target value, not bounce.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down