Trevliga Spel forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Is it possible to build a chord sequencer ?

2 posters

Go down

Is it possible to build a chord sequencer ? Empty Is it possible to build a chord sequencer ?

Post by AL1_1956 Sat Mar 30, 2024 12:00 pm

Hello
Great Plugin 

I'd like to participate but have no (and do not want to have) a Paypal account

I am French , so my English may seem a little strange

Can you please tell me if it is possible to have the StreamDeck behave like a looping Chord Sequencer

I was thinking of something like this 

7 buttons named C D E F G A B for the root of the chord , two buttons to turn the root note flat or sharp.

several buttons to build from the root (major minor 7th ... ) chords. 

One Start and one Stop button

Eventually other ideas if it is possible to have these basic things working

Thank You and have a nice Week End.

AL1_1956

Back to top Go down

Is it possible to build a chord sequencer ? Empty Re: Is it possible to build a chord sequencer ?

Post by Admin Sat Mar 30, 2024 2:28 pm

It should be possible to build such a thing with script buttons, each button setting a global variable to a unique value, and have the start and stop buttons send notes according to the values in the global variables.

You need one global variable for the root, one for the flat/sharp switch and one (at least) for the chord variations.
Admin
Admin
Admin

https://trevligaspel.forumotion.eu

Back to top Go down

Is it possible to build a chord sequencer ? Empty Re: Is it possible to build a chord sequencer ?

Post by AL1_1956 Sat Mar 30, 2024 3:24 pm

Hello Again and thank you for the quick answer

I am (already)stuck at the beginning

I have one script button named C
the script on this button is

[(press){@root:72}{noteon:1,@root,127}]
[(release){noteoff:1,@root,127}]

but this does not play the right note , instead it plays (and cuts) a very low note (I think midi note 0)

Can you help please
Thank You

Alain

AL1_1956

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Sat Mar 30, 2024 4:01 pm

Variable references in actions need to be enclosed with #

[(press){@root:72}{noteon:1,#@root#,127}]
[(release){noteoff:1,#@root#,127}]

If I understood your first question correctly, you didn't want the root buttons to play the note, only to set the root note. If so, you only need to have a...

[(press){@root:72}]

...and then in the Start script, have a number of {noteon:...}{noteoff:...} commands based on the global variables st byt root buttons, flat/sharp button and chord variation buttons.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by AL1_1956 Sat Mar 30, 2024 4:48 pm

Thanks Again

I just figured it out for the use variable syntax.

I explain here what I want to do.

I want to mimic the chord looping sequencer found on VERY high -end Yamaha Arrangers (such as Genos)

So One button to choose the root of the first Chord
One optional button to set the alteration (flat or sharp)
One set of buttons to choose the chord variation (Major , Minor , Dim,Aug , 7th ...)

So if we take the C# Major 7
We will have 
Root C (set to midi note 60)
Build a C Major 7 (C E G B) so midi notes (60 64 67 71)
Sharp alteration so the chord is now (61 65 68 72)
Send Chord to midi port for x mseconds when START button is pressed
Play Chord for x mseconds 
Mute Chord - got to next chord , and so on.

When chord sequence is over return to first chord and loops until STOP

I know that it is a very long shot but I'm 68 Years old I am retired and I have a lot of time (I hope).

Alain

AL1_1956

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Sat Mar 30, 2024 5:47 pm

68 years!? That's a problem. You need to wait until you're 70 (as I am in a couple of weeks), and then everything will be crystal clear. Very Happy

I think a showstopper in your design is the "goto to next chord, and so on."

You can configure buttons to set root notes, variations and so on, but to have a sequence of chords is close to impossible. It may be possible with VERY complex scripting, but I can't recommend it.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by AL1_1956 Sat Mar 30, 2024 6:16 pm

Hello Again.

We had a long time ago a TV Show called
"Impossible n'est pas Francais" (impossible is not french)

So what I was thinking of is have a button that ,when pressed stores the result of the first chord (Let's say Cmajor) in 4 variables that would be the midi notes to send for this first chord (C4 E4 G4 C5).
This button is also used to reinit local variables (root , alteration, variation) but does not change the 4 variables stored for the first chord

Then we make the same thing for chord number 2 and so on until the end 

So let's say we have in the brain of the Plugin

Cmaj Am Fmaj Gmaj in 4 sets of 4 variables each

We have then a button that sends the noteon(s) for the first chord waits a little sends the noteoff(s) and then sends 
the second chord and so on...

Maybe I'm dreaming ... Rolling Eyes

AL1_1956

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Sat Mar 30, 2024 8:40 pm

Yes, that's what I meant with complex scripting... Smile
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by AL1_1956 Mon Apr 01, 2024 4:56 pm

Hello
In France it's Easter Monday.

I did not find eggs but instead "found" something more useful for my (longtime) project

Thanks to variables @e_row and @e_column , I am now able to have a unique ID for each key (because the "real" ID is not very easy to use)

[(press)
{@key:#8*@e_row+@e_column+1#}]

So all keys are numbered from 1 to 32 .

I have now to find a way to memorize in which order those keys are pressed , which will eventually (I hope) permit to play the chords associated to those keys in a defined order...

Have A Nice Day

Alain

AL1_1956

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum