Trevliga Spel forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Streamdeck Plus: Possible to use rotation knobs with scripts or sysex?

2 posters

Go down

Streamdeck Plus: Possible to use rotation knobs with scripts or sysex? Empty Streamdeck Plus: Possible to use rotation knobs with scripts or sysex?

Post by ozark2001 Wed Nov 08, 2023 3:41 pm

Hi,

I am relative new to the whole Streamdeck Midi side and just got a SDeck+ a week ago. Smile
I am wondering if it is possible to use the rotating knobs with features like changing programs continously or manipulating other parameters via sysex in some scripted form like it is possible with buttons?

Anything to expect for knobs in a future version?

Also thanks a lot to the developer for making this available in current form, it is already amazing and I will going to donate a bit to encourage further development flower

ozark2001

Back to top Go down

Streamdeck Plus: Possible to use rotation knobs with scripts or sysex? Empty Re: Streamdeck Plus: Possible to use rotation knobs with scripts or sysex?

Post by Admin Wed Nov 08, 2023 4:39 pm

Script support for dials will probably be implemented sometime in the future; whether it will be in this plugin or a "plugin 2.0", I cannot say today.

Please read the end of this thread for more info.
Admin
Admin
Admin

https://trevligaspel.forumotion.eu

Back to top Go down

Streamdeck Plus: Possible to use rotation knobs with scripts or sysex? Empty Re: Streamdeck Plus: Possible to use rotation knobs with scripts or sysex?

Post by ozark2001 Thu Nov 09, 2023 11:43 am

Okay, so sysex or scripting is a bit complicated but possibly down the road. Streamdeck Plus: Possible to use rotation knobs with scripts or sysex? 1f31e

I see that there is an option to send a Program Change for when pressing a dial, but I do not see it for rotating a dial.
As most of my external gear uses some form of rotary wheel or encoder to allow switching presets, would that be possible to make available for the rotate action or what is the reason why it seems currently missing?

ozark2001

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Thu Nov 09, 2023 12:23 pm

There is no particular reason you can't have Progam Change commands sent when rotating a dial other than my belief that there was no need for it when I implemented the dial functionality. However, it is on the wish list for future development.

If you can live with one-way communication and dedicate a button, you can achieve this by "bouncing" CC commands through a script that converts them to PC commands.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by ozark2001 Thu Nov 09, 2023 1:53 pm

Any example how that bouncing would work?

A dial generally makes it very easy to have one knob vs. two buttons (-/+) for easily going back and forth through programs without longpress or other (hidden) double actions Smile

ozark2001

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Thu Nov 09, 2023 2:31 pm

[(cc:1,0,0-127){pc:1,#@e_ccvalue#}]

This script will receive CC commands for CC0 on channel 1 and echo them as PC commands on channel 1.

If the dial and the button have the same port configuration (e.g., Out:StreamDeck2Daw, In:Daw2StreamDeck), the CC commands will also be sent to the daw (or whatever is listening).

If that is not acceptable, you can create a dummy port used only between the dial and the script button, e.g.:
Dial In: Not used
Dial out: Dial2Script
Button In: Dial2Script
Button out: StreamDeck2Daw

...or you can change the CC channel or CC number to something that the daw does not react to.
Admin
Admin
Admin

ozark2001 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by ozark2001 Thu Nov 09, 2023 3:01 pm

Thank you, will try this out this evening!
By this method I assume it would be also possible to use dials indirectly (via button scripts) for anything else currently not implemented, like sysex?

ozark2001

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Thu Nov 09, 2023 3:39 pm

ozark2001 wrote:Thank you, will try this out this evening!
By this method I assume it would be also possible to use dials indirectly (via button scripts) for anything else currently not implemented, like sysex?
Yes.
Admin
Admin
Admin

ozark2001 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by ozark2001 Fri Nov 10, 2023 10:27 am

Tested this method and works like a charm!
Rotation is still highly responsible and I can "scroll through" the presets of my SGX Nightbass FX unit even better than with the front encoder Smile

ozark2001

Admin likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by ozark2001 Fri Nov 10, 2023 8:33 pm

I just had the idea to put the button on a different page than the dial is, but it then seems to stop working?

Is there any possible trick for making the maximum use of the limited button space of the SDeck+, by making the script part react even if on a different page or maybe hide/piggypack this non-interactive script part by placing it on e.g. a multiaction switch (or other button element) in a way that never goes to directly toggle/trigger/show the scripted part?

ozark2001

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Fri Nov 10, 2023 10:13 pm

The button must be active somewhere, but it can be on another device. When you unload the page/profile where the button is defined, it is "destroyed" and no longer exists.

So the button must be visible on an active page, otherwise it won't work. That's just the way Stream Deck works, I'm afraid. You should be able to handle all scripting on a single button, though.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down